Thursday, October 18, 2007

Something Wiki This Way Comes

Greetings Campers,

The last lesson in our veb dos dot naught adventure dealt with the wild and wonderful world of wikis. Are they wicked or wonderful? Alas, like me, they are both - a dichotomous duo of darling and demon! The premise of these is that they are an online encyclopedia to be created, enjoyed and edited by all the social Internet community. I must admit that I use these quite a bit for when I need a new recipe or need to experiment with some unusual ingredients.

Wikihow is quite nice when I need to know how to do something and Wikipedia is a plethora of quite useful information. The downside is that on occasion someone decides to go in and add their own malicious edits to pages that contain lots of wonderful information. The community usually takes care of this rather swiftly and if you find malicious content, by all means report it to them so they can fix the problem. All in all I find them most agreeable.

And you know what I do to rude people!

L

1 comment:

Your "Esha" the Teacher said...

Good Morning Dr. Lecter,

I forgot to post to two blogs for this assignment so here we are. Did you notice in the reading the part about Wiki's all looking alike? That they can be spotted "a mile away" because of the similar format they all share? I thought this was interesting. I also found it interesting that the founder of the Wiki got it from a bus in Hawaii- the Wiki-Wiki. Thought that was cute. Might come in handy when playing Jeopardy or something. Well, I am off to clog up cyberspace again! Thanks for listening.