Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Privacy - That Silly Old Thing Again?

One of the reasons I have used the Hannibal Lecter persona is because it parallels so well with the Internet and this social networking phenomena that is occurring these days. Dr. Lecter is suave and sophisticated, a man of taste, manners and distinction on the outside. Inside he is an absolute monster.

The television & other media, banks, law enforcement, and officials all tell us not to give out personal information in emails, over the phone or anywhere else unless you trust the person you are conversing with. Yet this very blog has places to include all kinds of personal information. We are even encouraged to share this with others. Why the Internet is all good people, right? We're just a great big old happy family and no one would ever do anything malicious.

You wouldn't mind giving little old me a little information about yourself now would you .... go ahead and tell me all about you in your blogs. Please be sure to include your name, address, phone number, email address, where you work, what you do. I promise never to do anything with this information. I am just interested in you and would love to know a little bit more about you.

Quid pro quo, Clarice, I told you what you wanted to know. Now tell me what I want to know.

Quid pro quo,

H.L.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Privacy--is there really such a thing in this world anymore? All of our information is on the internet in one form or another somewhere. Is it scary to know how much someone could really find out about you? Oh Yeah. But hopefully, we are all smart enough to not totally give away all of our "secrets".

Cathy Gilreath said...

Even though I am facilitating this online course, I am a newcomer myself with blogging- Looks good!
You will get no more personal information than this from me-